Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:55 pm

» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8211 messages in 708 subjects

Military Game (Continued) Beta Testers Required!

+2
The V.A.P.
Gadd
6 posters

Go down

Military Game (Continued) Beta Testers Required! Empty Military Game (Continued) Beta Testers Required!

Post  Gadd Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:57 am

I need beta testers/idea contributers for this military forum-based game I'm working on as a side project. It wouldn't be very time consuming, all I ask is that you have an open mind for this kind of thing, and that you're available at least an hour or so a day.

Anyway, this is a combat and tech based game.

Every player starts out with a home base, a few men, and a good amount of spendable wealth. The object of the game is to become either the most powerful faction, or the lone remaining military force. As you progress in the game, you can purchase factories, blueprints, more units, and territory to increase the capacity and power of your army.

To remove another player from the game, you have to destroy their home base, which, until you purchase the information from someone (most likely me), is in an unknown location, and cannot be attacked.

To prevent the wholesale slaughter of new players, someone can only attack (unprovoked) someone with a rank (determined by power, wealth, and etc.) a little lower than theirs.

Obviously, this game is in the works. Which is why I'll need some people to help me out by playtesting or contributing ideas. If this game actually takes off, anyone who gave any significant aid will receive a special, customized Super Heavy unit.

Especially valuable to me is someone to churn out some balanced combat rules and equations for things like resource gathering, etc.

To show you that I'm not just talking out my ass again, I'll give you a preview of the basic unit catalog which will be available to the public if I get this going.

Formulae

Unit vs. Unit -

[ao - dd = dmg]

(ao=attacker offense, dd=defender defense, dmg=damage dealt)

(8 - 6 = 2 where hp is 2)
If dmg is greater than or equal to hp, the defender is killed.

Power of Groups

Infantry
(Group rank limit 100 default)

Offense - [Average rounded down]
Defense - [1/2 units x 1]
Health - [units x 1 + (rank / 2)]

Vehicle
(Group rank limit 25)

Offense - [Average rounded down]
Defense - [units x 1]

Armor
(Group rank limit 20)

Offense - [Average rounded up]
Defense - [units x 2 + highest DEF]

Air
(Group rank limit 15)

Offense - [Average rounded up]
Defense - [units x 1 + (units / 2)]

Last edited by Gadd on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Gadd
Gadd
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Military Game (Continued) Beta Testers Required! Empty Re: Military Game (Continued) Beta Testers Required!

Post  The V.A.P. Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:23 am

Like I said, interested.
The V.A.P.
The V.A.P.
officer
officer

Number of posts : 103
Flag : Denmark
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Military Game (Continued) Beta Testers Required! Empty Re: Military Game (Continued) Beta Testers Required!

Post  Robert Sandler Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:16 pm

I'm interested.

Robert Sandler

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Gadd Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:44 am

Okay, and I already know that Sir Nikolas is in, so we just need one more person to make the testing phase feasible. I'll let you guys know when everything is ready for initial purchases and war-games.

http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=militarybannercopyux6.png

Maybe that'll stop you from killing me.
Gadd
Gadd
crewhand
crewhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Gadd Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:32 pm

Okay, I've revamped the tech system, and though that'll delay things for a few days, I feel that it will be worth it.

The new system is as follows:

Upon the foundation of their military, the player can choose from a list of technology sets, including the following:

Diesel
Steam
Nano

Now, each tech set has its own advantages and disadvantages, as well as unique units and artillery attacks that no other tech has. Technological advancement is classified by Tiers (Tier 1, 2, and 3, to be exact), and the higher your tier, the more advanced and powerful units and items you can purchase. To gain Tiers, you must buy a certain number of blueprints and accumulate a certain amount of wealth.

Players can change technologies if they wish, but every time they do it, they're bumped back down to Tier 1, so it's best to get the feel of which tech you'd like within the first few battles.

Now here's the fun part. Whenever a player reaches the absolute maximum of wealth and blueprints, and they've hit Tier 3, they can pay to make their home base a moving fortress. This has positives and negatives, of course, and will be further explained in the future.

First issue of the Catalogue is soon to come.
Gadd
Gadd
crewhand
crewhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Gadd Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:04 am

Great news! The First Issue of the Purchase Catalogue for Diesel is complete (yes, I capitalized those on purpose)! As these are still in the works, expect a few bugs with First Issue units in regards to pricing and functionality.

NOTE: The formatting for posting on this forum is wildly different from that of Wordpad, so there may be some squeezing and weird positioning. Apologies.

The legend for the catalogue is thus:
(Unit Name) [Unit Slots (if applicable)] # VEHICLE OPERATORS REQUIRED $Price [OFFENSE/DEFENSE]

Spoiler:

As there have been some rule changes since the first few posts, take this as the current and only applicable version.
Gadd
Gadd
crewhand
crewhand

Back to top Go down

Post  The V.A.P. Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:24 am

Very nice. When will the rest be done?
The V.A.P.
The V.A.P.
officer
officer

Number of posts : 103
Flag : Denmark
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Gadd Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:29 am

I'm hoping by the end of the weekend. Once I've finished all of the units, we'll be able to move on to the first test battles and I'll get you guys your starting income. After that, I'll work on getting the resource and business element completed, and then put some effort into the non-unit catalogues.

So, in summary, the game should be finished... within 10 years. But playable? By the beginning of October.
Gadd
Gadd
crewhand
crewhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Silas Morgan Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:00 am

Not sure if I could promise an hour per day.....maybe every other day or so.....

I once played a game by mail...(once a month) Hyporian War (or something like that...I had Zamora..) it was interesting, but some of it didn't make much since.... Hey I had some really good spys... send them all to one country... I can't believe they couldn't find anything out (only so many spys... but three of them level 10)..... computer dice rolls or real dice rolls....I can't believe such a series of such bad luck.....It was fun... but at about $10.00 per turn..... ouch....

I always thought it would be fun/interesting to write a game that was played at about three levels.... one level is the rings or some other magic object trying to control everything. the next were ..the kings and such... and then the last level was the "Players" in the world where everything is happening..... Oh yeah... each level was played by a totally different group of people.......

Rats.... the idea is there... just not typing out the way I want it to..... blame the rum and gin fer that......
Silas Morgan
Silas Morgan
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Gadd Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:06 am

The 'hour per day' thing is more of a recommendation. Not really a requirement.
Gadd
Gadd
crewhand
crewhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Silas Morgan Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:43 am

Cool... in that case I would be interested.....

Hey.. each year in Winter I geek out,........ and write game stuff.....I have a cool basic program ( sorry, I only know Basic) for star system generator for Traveler, that I keep working on, .. stealer size, planets... satellites...everything a system could possibly have.....a work in progress...... (I wanna make it write everything out into HTML so I can play with cool graphics....still working on that.... (Rats.... stellar cartography doesn't even express what I'm trying to do,,,,) but unfortunately, without any players I will never use any of it...... Heck... I live up in the mountains.... trying to find gamers up here just don't happen......

More than likely, I'm geeky enough.... just can't promise to play every day....
Silas Morgan
Silas Morgan
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Gadd Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 pm

It'd really help if people could start contributing to the development of the game. Even just proposing units and items could be a great benefit.
Gadd
Gadd
crewhand
crewhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Gadd Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:46 am

New idea! Player merchant system? Possibly a daily fee to sell your items in bulk to other players, as well as to buy them wholesale at discount.

Will look into it.
Gadd
Gadd
crewhand
crewhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Gadd Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:41 pm

Okay, I haven't abandoned the project, I'm just on a break. Creator's block. Will resume as soon as I can.
Gadd
Gadd
crewhand
crewhand

Back to top Go down

Post  JingleJoe Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:16 am

(I thought this thread said Beta Teslas required Laughing)
JingleJoe
JingleJoe

Number of posts : 186
Flag : European Union

http://www.greendungeon.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Gadd Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:11 am

Well, no, but if you have a working early edition Tesla coil on hand, I'll be glad to take it. Smile
Gadd
Gadd
crewhand
crewhand

Back to top Go down

Post  quantumcat Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:51 am

I hope you'll include a "cut-off" on this game.

My consort and I would both be interested and might become irate should one of us monopolize the computer.

(You may have done this already but you might find players on theminiaturespage.com.)

quantumcat
powder monkey
powder monkey

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down