Spare goggles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» We seem to be down again
by von Corax Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:55 pm

» Gateway Timeout Errors
by von Corax Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:06 am

» Yet Another Upgrade: Saturday, 2 September 2023
by von Corax Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 pm

» Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Done!
by von Corax Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

» If you're attempting to register at Brass Goggles…
by von Corax Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

» My Account on the Main Forum Has a Problem; Need Help
by Sorontar Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

» Sceduled Server Maintenance
by von Corax Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

» Major Software Upgrade Wednesday June 8, 2022
by von Corax Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:23 pm

» Writing a Book...!
by Sarahsteam Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am

» Subject: STEAMPUNK!
by Bartholomew Thatch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am

» Scheduled Maintenance Saturday Feb 19, 2022 @ 12:00 Noon EST
by Lazaras Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:49 am

» New Brass Goggles Administrator
by Xenos Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:21 am

» New member introduction thread.
by Avalon Skyboat Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:24 am

» Unexpected Change of Nationality?
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 pm

» How was your day thread (continued)
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 pm

» We Have Reached Peak Beard!
by Xenos Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:45 am

» Choose your Favorite Spare Goggles Emoticon!
by von Corax Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 am

» I hereby declare this a wizard-free zone
by The Corsair Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:29 am

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Statistics
We have 731 registered users
The newest registered user is vastfrontierz

Our users have posted a total of 8211 messages in 708 subjects

The "What Are You Reading?" Thread (necroed)

+36
T.T.
CaptainPhania
Paul8v
Rowan of Rin
The Kernel
Shameri
James Harrison
Earl Otterby
Mr Clockwork
Mr. Ethan Grammatikidis
T.Taylor the Third
von Corax
The V.A.P.
neon_suntan
Mrs. Sullivan
Lady Penelope
Tanuki
Abraxas
CaptZaphod
Jemima Annabelle Clough
Gazongola
Dandeliondream
BaronPablo
Dax
Steamblast Mary
stormfeather
vermillion
A.G.Morgan
Zepherius
pocalypse
Herr Döktor
Kirsty
MaggotyAnne
Plum
Prof. George of Chaos
OldProfessorBear
40 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The "What Are You Reading?" Thread (necroed) - Page 3 Empty Re: The "What Are You Reading?" Thread (necroed)

Post  A.G.Morgan Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:42 am

Gazongola wrote:

Not an incredibly huge fan of Pratchett, but I seem to have been able to bare a few of his books.

I'm sorry, Mr. Gazongola, but could you try clarifying that one? I understand the words, and the grammar is correct. But I just can't seem to make sense of that statement.

A.G.Morgan
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 49
Flag : European Union
Registration date : 2008-09-17

http://agmorgan.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

The "What Are You Reading?" Thread (necroed) - Page 3 Empty Re: The "What Are You Reading?" Thread (necroed)

Post  Gazongola Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:45 am

A.G.Morgan wrote:
Gazongola wrote:

Not an incredibly huge fan of Pratchett, but I seem to have been able to bare a few of his books.

I'm sorry, Mr. Gazongola, but could you try clarifying that one? I understand the words, and the grammar is correct. But I just can't seem to make sense of that statement.

It was a tongue in cheek statement about the fact that I am not a big fan of Pratchett, compared to say other authors, but I have read works of his.
Gazongola
Gazongola
Bosun

Number of posts : 197
Flag : Earth
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  T.Taylor the Third Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:20 am

im reading a lovecraft collection and a darkling plain by philip reeve

i downloaded an audio book called a study in emraled its like a sherlock holmes meets lovecraft story
it says its in a shadows over baker street anthology what other books like this are there?

T.Taylor the Third
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Ethan Grammatikidis Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:17 am

Just started & finished A Voyage in a Balloon -- Jules Verne. It's very short and curiously... gripping. Shocked

Prior to that was The Hacker Crackdown, Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier by Bruce Sterling. There are strange factual stories, bizarre 'factual' stories, and then there are stories like this book which could not have been made up!

I've now got Verne's The Blockade Runners open on my PDA. Not sure if I'll read it all the way through again, but remember it as a good tale, if a bit dense in parts.

Edit: I entered "steam" into the title search of gutenberg.org and intend to start on The Huge Hunter Or, the Steam Man of the Prairies by Edward Sylvester Ellis.

Mr. Ethan Grammatikidis
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post  T.Taylor the Third Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:26 am

yeahu some of vernes more obscure works are a bit dense..

has anyone read the war in the air by hg wells? its really good.

T.Taylor the Third
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Ethan Grammatikidis Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:45 pm

I just downloaded The War in the Air last night, being reminded I'd never got round to downloading any of H.G. Wells works, but read The Huge Hunter instead. The Huge Hunter is good fun. I guess it's a Boys Own Western, except that those elements are eclipsed by the gigantic steam man and it's young, hunchbacked inventor who built it in secret. Maybe trying to categorize it is a bad idea, because the story makes a lot more sense than those few words would suggest.

As to Verne & density, I found Journey to the Center of the Earth a bit dry & dense in the critical parts, too. I prefer Burroughs for colour & life in early sci-fi, only the 'colour' and 'life' are so bright in Burroughs I have to wonder if he was taking something as he wrote. Extract of coca plant is my guess, it seems to relate itself to war.

P.S. I was surprised not to find Brave New World on gutenberg.org. Crome Yellow was there, but I've never been one for reading about teenage angst.

Mr. Ethan Grammatikidis
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 30

Back to top Go down

Post  Jemima Annabelle Clough Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:29 pm

Just started on Neal Stephenson's Anathem. Once I got past the first two or three dozen pages in which it felt like every other word was made up, it all suddenly clicked and I'm loving it.

Jemima Annabelle Clough
officer
officer

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Clockwork Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:04 pm

I started reading Kathy Reichs' book Deja Dead last night, and today I bought Starcross, the sequal to Larklight, both written by Phillip Reeve, I am looking forward to reading both books at the moment.

Mr Clockwork
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post  Tanuki Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:40 am

After an eerily similar dream the other night, I decided to finally start reading Y - The Last Man this morning. It was such a good series, I did not stop until finishing the final issue (#60) this evening.

Rare it is indeed that I will read one thing for such a long stretch of time.
Tanuki
Tanuki
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-09-13

http://www.myspace.com/mctanuki

Back to top Go down

Post  Earl Otterby Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:49 pm

I am reading "War of the worlds" for the first time, done the first chapter and I love it.

Earl Otterby

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-10-11

http://earl-otterby.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  James Harrison Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:30 am

I'm about a third of the way through Anne Rice's 'Interview with the Vampire' and I've just finished Bram Stoker's 'The Lair of the White Worm'.

Both are splendid.
James Harrison
James Harrison
officer
officer

Number of posts : 93

Back to top Go down

Post  A.G.Morgan Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:43 pm

I've almost finished Pratchett's Last Continent. Rincewind's just got found while hiding in a carnival and is now cornered in an alley by the Bugerup Watch.

I'm wondering how similar to Australia EcksEcksEcksEcks really is...

A.G.Morgan
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-09-17

http://agmorgan.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Plum Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:00 pm

I finished Captain Bluebear and am now in the middle of The City of Dreaming Books (even more utterly utterly brilliant than Bluebear) also by Walter Moers.

I am an addict, he is superb. I recommend The City of Dreaming books to any bibliophile; some of the references and anagrams on real world authors really are don't-read-on-the-train-if-you-don't-want-to-snort-embarrassingly hilarious.
Plum
Plum
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 39

http://www.coltek.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Shameri Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:31 pm

I'm currently reading The Invisible Man by you-know-who, and The Time Travellers Wife by you-don't-know-who-and-neither-do-I!
Not enjoying the invisible man (my first Wells *blush*) as much as I hoped, there is lots happening but hardly any character behind it.
The TTW ( Very Happy ) Is a jolly good read, not at all steamy and on a few of those best-selling lists which I usually take as 'books not to read', but the characters and scenario are so thouroughly explored I can't help but admire.
Plum- I read The City of Dreaming Books a little while ago, and loved it; but in the two months afterwards I found myself frantically buying more books than I have in any other whole year of my life! It's hypnotic cyclops study drunken

Last edited by Shameri on Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Caps)
Shameri
Shameri
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Sullivan Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:05 pm

Shameri wrote:I'm currently reading The Invisible Man by you-know-who, and The Time Travellers Wife by you-don't-know-who-and-neither-do-I!
:

The Time Traveller's Wife is one of my favorite books! A beautiful, emotional story.
Mrs. Sullivan
Mrs. Sullivan
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 115

Back to top Go down

Post  The Kernel Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:07 pm

This must be a female thing - I read it but it just didn't "click", good characters but the plot pretext just didn't ring true enough!
The Kernel
The Kernel
officer
officer

Number of posts : 116
Flag : Swizerland
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Prof. George of Chaos Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:45 am

I'm afriad enjoyment of The Time Traveller's Wife can't be an exclusively female thing. When I read it a few months ago I thought it rather magnificent. So sad, though...I love the early interaction with Claire's friends, and that Niffeneggar worked reccomendation s to her reader into the plot. I began listening to the Violent Femmes on the strength of their presence in the book, and am very pleased to have done so.

Prof. George of Chaos
officer
officer

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-09-14

http://www.georgiechaos.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rowan of Rin Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:11 pm

I just finished (literally 10 minutes ago) "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" by Douglas Adams, quite the hilarious read!

I am now going to snuggle into bed, and read about the horror that is "The Kraken Wakes" by John Wyndham. That is, if I don't fall aslepp *yawn* Sleep

Rowan of Rin
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 47
Flag : Denmark

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul8v Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:19 pm

just about to start reading the difference engine :-)

Paul8v
gunner
gunner

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post  OldProfessorBear Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:14 am

Have begun Full Dark House.
OldProfessorBear
OldProfessorBear
Ætheric engineer (admin)

Number of posts : 229

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptainPhania Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:09 am

Love, Life, Goethe by John Armstrong. Not Steampunk, but still interesting.

CaptainPhania
powder monkey
powder monkey

Number of posts : 9
Flag : Austria
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  T.T. Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:05 am

I just finished Fahrenheit 451.
T.T.
T.T.
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Dax Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:33 pm

Currently reading The Sunrise Lands by S.M. Stirling. Just finished re-reading A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny.

I'll probably give David Weber's Off Armaggeddon Reef another going over before the sequel comes out in paperback this winter. By the way, that's one of the best recent sci-fi/adventure novels that I've read in recent years.
Dax
Dax
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post  The V.A.P. Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:19 pm

A sequel to "Off Armageddeon Reef"? That should be interesting - I enjoyed that book for it's originality.
The V.A.P.
The V.A.P.
officer
officer

Number of posts : 103
Flag : Denmark
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Dax Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:34 pm

Yes, its called By Schism Rent Asunder and I'm looking forward to reading it. The early reviews are that its wordier than Off Armageddon Reef, with less action, but that might only indicate that its a little more thoughtful, and might also be providing exposition for a longer series.http://us.macmillan.com/byschismrentasunder
Dax
Dax
crewhand
crewhand

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next